Types of Kitchen Countertops, Their Pros and Cons
The kitchen counter is a very important part of our kitchen. And choosing the type, shape, and style of them is very hard. Especially, there are many counter-stone types, and choosing the best one is a real issue. As BST Design Company, we tried to help you by giving you information about the types of them.
The kitchen countertops are one of the most important details of the kitchen renovation process. We are proud to do this professionally. We choose the kitchen countertop that best suits your style and applies it to your kitchen. Just contact us for marble countertops, laminate countertops, stainless steel countertops, and more.
So what are the most common types of kitchen countertops? And what are the advantages and disadvantages of the different kitchen counter types? Today we will give information about these topics.
Granite Types of Kitchen Countertops
Granite is a natural stone that has unique color and pattern styles. This is one of the most common types because they are a little bit more resistant to heat. Granite is very proper for both kitchen and bathroom uses. It is sure that you can create a great view inside your kitchen.
- Has a long lifetime,
- Easy to clean and maintain,
- Low cost,
- Not very resistant to acidic products. You should be careful about those materials that could harm your countertop.
Marble Types of Kitchen Countertops
Marble countertops are very popular because of their elegant view. As they are manufactured from natural limestone, they have remarkable lines and styles. So, we can easily say that marble may be a rival to granite.
- Has a highly aesthetic view,
- Durable against the heat,
- As it is a homogenous material, cleaning is very easy.
- Not very durable against hard strikes. So it can easily break.
- Marble is expensive.
- As it has a porous structure, you must paint marble with anti-bacterial paint. Also, you have to use anti-bacterial resin finishing.
Synthetic Stone Types of Kitchen Countertops
Synthetic stones are generally made of resin mixed marble or natural mineral which is hashed like quartz. As synthetic stone is a hard material, you should definitely work with professionals while using it for styling. Otherwise, you won’t be able to get what you want most probably.
- It is a standard and homogenous material.
- As it is not porous, they don’t get stains easily.
- You can easily clean or protect the synthetic stone.
- There are various colors and surface types of them.
- The synthetic stone is a little more expensive than traditional stone types.
- It has a low level of durability against heat.
Porcelain Types of Kitchen Countertops
Porcelain diamond stone is one of the most common types of countertops. Although they are not very durable, they have a fine level stern structure. The most prominent feature is the ability of impermeability. On the other hand, you can easily shape or configure porcelain in order to look like marble, wood, or concrete.
- Porcelain is highly water-resistant.
- It is very durable against physical or chemical abrasion.
- Cleaning porcelain is very easy.
- Porcelain is a very sensitive and fragile material. So, you should work with professionals, because you should be very careful while shaping them.
- You should also use a reinforcement structure for porcelain.
Stainless Steel Kitchen Countertops
Stainless steel countertops have the best level of impermeability. Also, it is the most anti-bacterial material among other countertop types. So, these features make it the best material for industrial use. This is why you can see them in almost every kitchens of hotels, restaurants, cafes, or every kind of dining hall. But, as having these features, stainless steel is very expensive.
- Very hygienic,
- Has a very long lifetime.
- And it is very practical to install.
- Very very expensive.
- Steel can scratch very easily.
Concrete Types of Kitchen Countertops
Concrete kitchen countertops are very durable and also economical. There are so many different methods for different color types for concrete countertops.
- Has a versatile view,
- Very economical to produce. Because only water, cement, and sand are enough for production.
- You have to use extra chemicals in order to provide impermeability.
- Concrete has a porous structure. So it can get dirty very easily.
- Concrete is not very hygienic.
Wooden Types of Kitchen Countertops
Wooden is the traditional and warm countertop type. Also, it is very practical to produce and install. The most popular materials for them are oak, walnut, and beech.
- Very easy to install.
- It has a low resistance level against heat and fire.
- Sharp objects can easily harm the wood.
- Water is very harmful to wood. So, for water protection, you should use special materials on the surface.
Glass Types of Kitchen Countertops
You should always be very careful with the glass as it is very fragile. But, there are some chemicals for finishing in order to make it more strong. Also, you have to use anti-bacterial and stain protection cleaning materials. The types of glass for countertops are transparent, semi-transparent, patterned, and colorful styles.
- The glass is stainless.
- Cleaning and maintenance are very easy.
- Producing and installing a glass countertop is a little bit expensive.
These are the most general and most used types of kitchen countertops. And the most important issue is, as we mentioned above, working with professionals. Because, countertops are hard to choose, produce, and install perfectly. As BST Design Company, we are always ready and keen to help you.